A strip of territory 1-3km wide, roughly 20km north-west of Jerusalem, which became a de facto no man’s land between Israel and Jordan as a result of the 1949 Israel-Jordan Armistice Agreement. It came under full Israeli control as a result of the 1967 Six Day War. Most of the international community views the area as occupied Palestinian territory, along with the adjacent West Bank. The main highway between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (Route 1) was built through the area in 1979, and a high-speed rail line connecting the two cities, also passing through the area, is currently under construction.
Credit: ECF - Economic Cooperation Foundation. Last update at 1970-01-17 19:56.